Georgia Teachers of English to
Speakers of Other Languages
Who’s Eligible: Any current Georgia TESOL member.
Purpose: This grant was created to support a teacher or a teacher trainer/supervisor who wishes to attend the International TESOL Convention. It is named in memory of Beverly Benson, an incredibly competent and compassionate educator and leader who was beloved by all that had the pleasure to know her. In addition to her devotion to her students and colleagues at Georgia Perimeter College, where she served as chair of the Department of ESL, Bev gave generously of her time, energy and intelligence to Georgia TESOL and International TESOL. She also co-authored grammar and writing textbooks with Pat Byrd, including Applied English Grammar and Problem/Solution: A Reference for ESL Writers, both of which are still in use by ESL/EFL teachers.
Amount: up to $1500
Criteria: Applications are examined for evidence of (a) how attendance at the TESOL convention will further the applicant’s professional development, (b) how attendance will benefit the applicant’s ELL community, (c) demonstrated need of financial assistance to attend the convention, and (d) how applicant will share what was learned with colleagues in Georgia TESOL and (e) strength of the applicant's recommendation letter.
Due Date: Applications and one letter of recommendation must be received on or before January 31st.
Review Committee: Three or more Members-at-Large of the Georgia TESOL Executive Board will conduct a blind review of all complete applications.
1. The grant will be offered on a yearly basis.
2. The Review Committee may recommend to divide the grant between 2 or more recipients.
3. The applicants will be notified of the committee's decision within 6 weeks of the grant deadline. A grantee may not reapply for at least three years. Those not receiving the grant are encouraged to reapply the next year.
4. The Review Committee may decide that no grant will be awarded for a given year.
5. The grantee agrees to: give a presentation related to the project at a Georgia TESOL conference AND write an article related to the grant for the Georgia TESOL Newsletter.
6. Grant funds will be dispersed as reimbursement when receipts are submitted to firstname.lastname@example.org.